I recently needed a way to more easily gather a list of supported releases of Ubuntu and preferably installed via PyPI. There exists the distro-info package in Ubuntu that is updated after release. The problem is it needs to be updated after a new release and when embedded inside a snap that means twice a year maintenance.
The solution was to develop a Python app that would query the data found in changelogs.ubuntu.com as that is kept up to date after each release. This does mean making two small file downloads.
How to Install Link to heading
As this is a snap it is installed easily via the snap store:
You can also use it via PyPI:
Usage Link to heading
The app takes a particular query and prints out the release codenames matching it. Below is a list of the possible queries:
- lts: latest supported long-term supported (LTS) release codename
- devel: current development release codename
- stable: current stable release codename
- supported: all supported releases' codename
- unsupported: all unsupported releases' codename
- all: every Ubuntu release codename
Bugs, Feature Requests, Questions Link to heading
If you encounter an issue, have a feature request or idea for something new, or have questions about the tool feel free to file a GitHub issue!